Recent Reads | The World From the View of Two Teenage Girls: Recent Reads

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Recent Reads

New here?  Follow us on Bloglovin'!
I've done a lot of reading during the past 3 weeks.  About 14 books to be more exact- the weather has just been so crappy.  It also helps that we've befriended one of the dock hands here and she just keeps loaning me books.

I figured today I could give you quick reviews, since I haven't written a book review in forever.

Warning: Crazy long


The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken

This book was your typical dystopian novel.  The government is crazy and threatening their existence, so they go to join the rebel group which turns out to have its own faults.  I was pretty disappointed with this book.  I felt like it really was rather anticlimactic and completely predictable.  I give it: ★ ★ ★ 

Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son Lois Lowry

I wasn't aware these were all related and I never bothered reading them.  I'm so glad I did, though, because they're so good.  Son includes a lot of unnecessary details, but overall I enjoyed it.  I'm actually going to see The Giver film this week and I really hope they don't ruin it.  I give these: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

My Sister's Keeper Jodi Picoult

This book was so well written.  I absolutely love when the POV changes regularly, but sometimes it can get confusing.  This book wasn't like that at all, even with the constant changing views the novel still flowed well.  But OH MY GOODNESS THE ENDING.  I really loved this book and I give it: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

The Thief Lord & Ruby Holler Funke & Creech

Both are books aimed for younger people I assume, but I enjoyed them none the less.  I thought they were both great and would definitely suggest them for adults as well.  I give these both: ★ ★ ★ ★

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas John Boyne

I saw this movie a while back and cried so hard.  I honestly felt this book was written in extremely simple language.  While a great story, I feel it could have been written better.  I give it: ★ ★ ★ 

Mrs. Mike Benedict Freedman

I had such a hard time with this book in the beginning.  I had to force myself to keep reading.  It got much better toward the end and I'm glad I continued.  I doubt I'll read the sequel, however.  I give it: ★ ★ ★ ★ 

The Book Thief Markus Zusak

This book is absolutely incredible.  A story about mismatched family in the Holocaust told from the view of death.  This is one of those books that gives you a book hangover, forcing you to take a break for a while.  I give it: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Nobody's Boy Hector Malot

I'm usually not into classics or anything written more than 30 years ago.  This was great, though.  Readers were really able to see character development throughout the novel.  I give it: ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Larger than Life & Where There's Smoke Jodi Picoult

I enjoyed these novellas- both giving back stories of supporting characters in her novel coming out this fall.  Can't wait to see how both characters are weaved into her next novel.  I give these: ★ ★ ★ 

A Study in Scarlet Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I love the BBC show Sherlock.  The novels go into so much more depth than the show and I love it so much.  I'm currently The Sign of Four and it's just as good.  I give it: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What have you been reading lately?  Do you have any recommendations for me?

Feel free to add me on Goodreads.


Cassandra's bookshelf: read

A Study in Scarlet
Larger Than Life
Where There's Smoke
Nobody's Boy
The Book Thief
Mrs. Mike
The Willoughbys
Walk Two Moons
Ruby Holler
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Thief Lord
My Sister's Keeper
Son
Messenger
The Darkest Minds
Perfect Ruin
Buried Alive!: How 33 Miners Survived 69 Days Deep Under the Chilean Desert
One Cool Friend
Harrison Bergeron
The Circle


Cassandra's favorite books »

No comments:

Post a Comment